Support Activities in Disaster-Stricken Areas
Support for the area affected by the Kumamoto Earthquake
We carried out the following support activities in response to appeals from the local authorities in the area affected by the Kumamoto Earthquake in April 2016.
As well as extending our heartfelt sympathies to those affected by the earthquake, we offer our sincerest prayers for a speedy recovery throughout the affected area.
|June 2016||Donated 400 sets of mattresses, mattress covers, pillows and pillowcases to the Mifune Town in Kumamoto prefecture|
|Donated 2,000 cotton blankets and 500 mattress covers to Kumamoto City|
|May 2016||Donated 3,500 sets of mattresses and pillows, and 23 cupboards to Kumamoto city|
|April 2016||Donated 1,660 blankets to Kumamoto Prefectural Government|
|Donated 500 blankets and 300 cushions to Uto City in Kumamoto prefecture|
Involvement in Support Activities for the Great East Japan Earthquake Disaster
Donation of Money
To help areas affected by earthquake-related disasters, 7 NITORI Group companies, company president, Mr. Akio Nitori, staff of NITORI Group, and around 80 business partners raised around 1.2 billion yen to donate to the Japan Red Cross, as well as to the Japanese government through many consulates.
Donation of Items
On Wednesday, March 16, 2011, we donated via distributing centers in Yokohama, Kobe and Fukuoka a total of 60,000 bedding items (equivalent to about 300 million yen) including 40,000 futons and blankets and 20,000 mats to the areas affected.
In addition, we also donated 35,000 (equivalent to about 300 million yen) futon sets to local municipalities and temporary shelters that have taken in victims of the earthquake.
Money donation boxes are set up at NITORI stores nationwide. The money received through the donation appeal will be distributed to victims in affected areas through the Japan Red Cross.
Amount of money donated: 11,968,007yen (*as of August 31,2012)
Main donations and donation activities to date
- Approx. ¥1.2 billion monetary donations to help those affected by the East Japan Earthquake
- ¥200 million monetary donations to help those affected by the Sumatra Earthquake (Indonesia)
- ¥100 million monetary donations to help those affected by the Niigata-Chuetsu Earthquake in Japan
- ¥48 million in Scholarships for International Students from Asian countries
- Monetary donation to Japan Alliance for Humanitarian Demining Support (JAHDS)
- Approx. ¥100 million to help those affected by the Great Sichuan Earthquake (China)
- Hosting a Joint Seminar with Hokkaido University
- Donation of 25 satellite phones to an NPO
- Donation of bedding to help those affected by the Hiroshima Landslides